Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Picasa vs Flickr...and the winner is...

Although there are quite a few different ways to get your pictures up on the interwebs, Google's Picasa and Yahoo's Flickr are hands down the two most well known and most used sites. This will be my 2 cents since I have now used them both.

I initially started out using Picasa simply because it is a google product and I love my gmail/gcal/any google app. It's pretty easy to use, comes with a photo editing software built in which is nice, and uploads were quick and easy as well. Flickr on the other hand has no actual editing software built in...well I guess picnik but that doesn't count. I found flickr just as easy to use as picasa, yet I found flickr had a more seamless upload process in my opinion. In all reality both of these sites are very similar if you don't plan on uploading a ton of photos/vid. Yet, if you do plan on uploading gigs upon gigs of information then choose wisely. You will need to upgrade to a pro account for either site...$25 for both I believe...and thus increasing your space. On flickr this ups your limit to 2gig per month, or on picasa, 6 gigs per year! Clearly Flickr has a LOT more room for you! Also, the big reason I choose to put my pictures up on a photo site is for exposure and the community. Although my time on Picasa was short, I felt there was NO community at all. On the other hand, Flickr is FULL of photo enthusiasts always uploading, commenting, and sharing ideas.

Although on the surface both apps are very similar, in the end, there really is no comparison. Flickr dominates due to the number of people who use it, its ease of use, and the amount of information you can upload.

Noxolo

3 comments:

  1. I believe Picasa is easier to share pictures with family/friends(because of their album set up) but Flickr allows you to post your pics to photo "groups" so you can recieve comments and critiques. Both have pros and cons but thats why I will always have accounts with both.

    -Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed...but with Flickr you can just create sets and family/friends can find things that way. I just think it would be an easier workflow with only 1 site...unless you really want to upload everything to both?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You will need to upgrade to a pro account for either site...$25 for both I believe...and thus increasing your space. On flickr this ups your limit to 2gig per month, or on picasa, 6 gigs per year!"

    Flickr Pro offers unlimited uploads and storage. There are no monthly limits. http://www.flickr.com/upgrade/

    --
    Flickr User

    ReplyDelete