Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Skip the resolutions...20 photographic goals for 2010

Per usual, DPS had a great article about photo goals for 2010, thus leading me to create my own! (Although many if not all will be coming from the article in some way, shape, or form)


Here is the article:
 http://digital-photography-school.com/30-photographic-goals-for-2010


My 2010 photography goals:

1. Don’t leave my camera
Bring my camera everywhere I go! I've already realized it can be cumbersome to bring my pack and tripod/monopod but my goal is to bring a camera everywhere...maybe even just my point and shoot if that's all I can manage!

2. Shoot and upload pictures weekly

I already started my 52 week self portrait project, but it will be important to keep this up on a weekly basis. The only way I will get better is to shoot more!

3. Prioritize my goals

Do you want to develop your business practices? Learn a new technique? Save for a lens? Allow your tasks and plans to filter through your long-term goals. It will be important for me to have a set list of goals and follow through.

4. Do something with photography daily

I think it’s important to always stay current on what’s going on in the things you enjoy and learning is the only way you will become better. There are tons of great resources in print and online, but I just need to take the time, even 30min, to learn every day.

5. Shoot with others

I’m lucky to have friends and family who also enjoy photography and I want to include them in my process. Shooting with others is a great way to see a different perspective.

6. Increase the blogs I follow

I already follow a few blogs, but I guess I could never follow too many. There are tons of industry leaders with photo wisdom on their blogs; it’s just a matter of me going and getting it.

7. Compete!

Submitting your photos to competitions is one of the greatest ways to get your photos off your hard drive and into the sights of important judges and industry leaders. Remember, it’s not about who you know, but who knows you!

8. Share online

Facebook, Flickr, my blog…it’s important to get my photo’s out there so others can see and give me some feedback, encouragement, and their point of view.

9. Create a photo book

Instead of just having my photo projects up online it would be great to create 2 photo books at the end of the year; one for each photo project.

10. Build your website

Whether it’s a free template or a friend’s design, take the time to present your work on your own piece of the web. It adds to your credibility, and enables you to easily share your work with others.

11. Challenge yourself with flash lighting

Flash is bad – NOT! Flash may be a bit scary and intimidating, but a little bit of discipline and hard work, and you can become a flash pro. I really want to work with my speedlite...maybe some slow sync flash work to begin with. Also, I want to throw light painting in this goal as well.

12. Get published

These days, being published does not simply mean by paper medium. There are hundreds of blogs relevant to the kind of photography you want to create. Do some investigating. Make a list of a dozen blogs and submit your work. Then – be persistent! Be cordial, but follow through.

13. Take monthly photo walks

Do you take photo’s to relax? Sometimes amid the tension of photographing for business, or photographing for development, it’s easy to forget the enjoyment of photography. Return to the joy by scheduling an afternoon or an hour to walk through a new town, trail, or area and find inspiration. Your eyes will be opened in a new way, and you will remember the euphoria of creative discovery.

14. Follow a regular photo blog-posting schedule

Photo-blogging weekly will develop your skills rapidly. Your readers will force you to be accountable to shooting consistently, and you will be able to see your development by leaps and bounds. I've already seen this help...even though I don't think any reads my blog I still feel the need to follow through if I say I will post pictures!

15. Promote your work in an online Gallery

Can’t afford to print and frame dozens of pieces in a photo collection? Don’t have to. Using a hosting provider such as Zenfolio, Shutterfly, or Pictage, you can bring your work into the homes of others with the click of a mouse. Force yourself to use your photos instead of allowing them to sit on a hard drive, never to be used.

16. Reach a hand

Get involved with HelpPortrait, or offer your services to a Boys and Girls club, or other nonprofit. These organizations are infamous for having low budgets for multimedia, and if you can offer your skills for their cause, it will bring your name out, and give you value and worth that you don’t otherwise have. I think this could be a great way to get involved in the community and build my network.

17. Develop a post processing workflow

Systemizing your work is the best way to a quick development for future work. Even if you are not in the business of photography, deciding on a good workflow for every single shoot will help you save time and energy in post processing.

18. Create a business plan

Want to start a business? Or already have? The best way to get a quick start on competition is to develop a business plan answering questions such as, “where do I want to go?” “What do I want my business to become?” and “who is my ideal client?” Even if you are not sure about starting a photography business, setting a few goals for jobs will help you pay for that new lens. I also want to create some business cards with a picture of mine and simple contact/blog/flickr info. You never know who will love your work and where it may take you.

19. Experiment with new presets

Develop your own editing style by playing with presets. Start here for a good list of presets, and then adapt them to your own style. Your photos will become more cohesive and specific – causing you to have a brand with your images no one else can mimic. I am anxious to start using Topaz adjust and photomatix pro3...both should give me a unique look and help me realize where I want to take my photo niche.

20. Make personal postcards to send friends

Print mail is a rarity these days. Imagine how you would stand out if you sent out monthly postcards to select friends and family? No one can afford an entire Christmas List every month, but you can rotate the list of recipients by month. Your work will get out, you will bless others with your images, and once again, you won’t have images sitting on a hard drive, idle and wasted. Since college has ended it has been hard to stay in contact with everyone that I would like. Facebook only does so much! I think this would be a great way to stay in contact, get my pictures out, and make someones day better!

No comments:

Post a Comment